Opening a brick-and-mortar barbecue establishment is no easy task. Even if you can muster up the initial investment, the work is hard and the margins are tight.

There are plenty of reasons your barbecue joint could fail. Even the smallest mistake could be a major setback.

So don’t get yourself behind the 8-ball by starting off with a bad location. It’s the No. 1 reason restaurants fail, according to thebalance.com.

I10 Common Reasons for Restaurant Failuref you start off with the wrong location, you probably aren’t going to recover. Just check out what happened to these folks:

Hot-boxing the neighborhood

While most of us love the occasional waft of burning apple or cherry wood, if you’re too close, your neighbors will definitely get sick of it.

For example, some say Hard Eight BBQ in Plano, Texas, is the best barbecue joint they’ve ever been to. But the neighbors have had enough of the smoky smell.

In early November, one neighbor went to city council saying the smoke from Hard Eight has disrupted a nearby neighborhood to the point of health and property value deterioration.

“It gets in your air conditioner at night. You’re trying to sleep and it smells like cooking pork in your bedroom,” Flora Waesch told The Colony Courier-Leader. “I’ve spoken to a lot of residents and they’re telling me they’re having sinus problems and even having to go to the doctor.”

Potential fixes could include a taller smoke flue or limited cooking hours.

We prefer charcoal to gas

With some investment dollars, that old gas station just on the outskirts of town would make one hell of a retro barbecue joint. But don’t forget that place once had oil and gas running below most of the ground.

Jeff Adamcik in Greenville, Texas, learned the hard way. Adamcik has abandoned his plans to open Sandy Sue’s BBQ on the former site of a Z’s Quik Stop service station and convenience store. He told the Royse City Herald Banner that owners of the property, faced with spending a “fortune” to deal with environment issues at the site, terminated his contract to purchase the property and will relist the property for sale.

The failed project has cost him a year and $10,000, Adamcik said.