At Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew in Austin, TX, flavorful, elevated side dishes are a big time differentiator. This coleslaw is a perennial favorite because of its fresh, zippy taste and unbeatable crunch factor. The addition of cooked onions and their cooking oil while still hot helps everything meld together, and provide another dimension of flavor.
YIELD: 15-20 servings
- 1 large cabbage, chopped or shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 2 cups grated carrots
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 onions, julienned and cooked in ¼ of oil in skillet
- 2 cups mustard
- 1 cup honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine cabbage, carrots, parsley and onions (while onions are still hot, with the oil).
- Whisk in mustard and honey. Combine well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Photo and recipe: Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew, Austin, TX